Thursday, October 30, 2008

1 down 2 to go....

Wahoo! Tuesday we had our first home study visit (well technically our first one was our orientation-so I guess it's 2 down 2 to go). At 11:00, as we were cleaning for our 2:30 appt., the power went out. Just as I was plugging in the vacuum cleaner.....lights out. Couldn't do laundry, make cookies (like we planned, to have the smell of fresh baked cookies in the air), and I can't tell you how many times we walked into a room and flipped on the light switch out of habit. 

Here is a funny conversation Dave and I had during the power outage:

Erin: I guess since I didn't do laundry I'm going to have to iron a pair of pants to wear. (Yes, I actually got the iron and ironing board out and plugged it in before I remembered--oh, yeah no power!) 

Dave: Well you could just throw them in the dryer to get the wrinkles out.

I think we were both having a blonde moment!

Anyway, our power came back on at about 7 pm so yes, we had our home study without power. Thankfully our meeting was during the day. We even showed her around the house with a flashlight for the rooms without windows (like bathrooms and basement). Everything went well including Hannah answering our first question for us. The question asked was what made us decide to adopt and why Ethiopia. Hannah said "Well, I was really "exkited" to have a baby sister and so I told my parents and they started the paperwork". We had to hold back our chuckles.

Our next visit is on Monday!  

3 comments:

Francey said...

SO exciting! I'm glad the interviewer didn't think ill of you because your power went out.

Do you guys mind if I link you on my blog?

Renee' said...

Hello from a fellow AWAA Ethiopia family! I just saw your info on the older Yahoo Group database. I want to invite you to our newer yahoo group where we have an awesome support system. It is just for AWAA families too. Ethiopia_adoptions_chat

Dave and Erin said...

I don't mind at all Francey as long as you don't mind if I link to yours!