Today is Monday. We arrived into Addis Ababa around 11:30AM local time (this would be 4:30AM EST). We were tired from the journey and anxious to get to Ava. First, we had to go through customs and then to lunch. Although none of the four couples seemed real interested in lunch I think the Adoption Agency knows it is a good idea to break for food before meeting the children. So we went to an Italian restaurant. It was funny coming to Ethiopia and sitting down for a pizza. However, it was actually really good.
So, after lunch it was time to go to the transition home to meet our children. It is hard to describe the feeling. The whole experience was surreal. Here is how it worked. In alphabetical order, based on the last name of the adopting family, they called the children out. They gave the family about 2-3 minutes to get acquainted and then called the next family. The emotions were so high that even watching the other couples receive their children brought tears to our eyes.
As our turn approached I wasn’t sure how to react. With my heart racing I clung to what I knew and was comfortable with. I picked up Hannah and choking back tears I told her, “it’s time to meet your sister.” She just smiled. I could barely get it out. Even as I write it’s hard to hold the tears back. We waited so long for this little girl. The time was finally here! What a time it was. She walked out onto the patio far enough to realize that there were a whole bunch of people staring at her. Then she put her arms up for her nanny to pick her up. We walked over to her and took her into our arms. I always wondered what this moment would feel like. Ahh [a sigh of relief]. It felt right. Not only that, it felt great. After taking some time to figure out why Erin’s hair was so light in color, it didn’t take long for Birhanesh to put her head on Erin’s shoulder.
We took about 45 minutes to get acquainted and then it was time to depart. This was much harder for Hannah then it was for us. Cries of, “I don’t want to leave my sister,” were expressed. It wasn’t that it was easy for Erin and I but, we understood that tomorrow, we would be coming back to take her home with us. At this point for Hannah, tomorrow was forever.
Meeting Birhanesh was a wonderful experience! Please enjoy a few pictures of the experience.


2 comments:
What a glorius day. When I saw the family photo, I just thought...AMEN. Thanks for posting Dave. Love, Aunt Patti
My first question: did you (Erin & Dave) color coordinate on purpose, or was it an accident that you both wore kaki bottoms and blue tops? And "complete" is the word that popped into my mind when I first saw the photo of your new family. Not that God may not want to increase it in the future, but for now, "complete." CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
Great Aunt Debbie
Post a Comment