Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Journey to Ava Birhanesh - ...still traveling...

Okay, so we left Washington DC (Reagan Airport) at 5:50 PM on the 24th and now we are sitting in Dubai and it’s 8:30PM on the 25th. Wow! That day went by quick.

We arrived safely and proceeded through the gorgeous airport in Dubai to a shuttle to our hotel, along with the other family who is adopting. The hotel is compliments of the airline since it is a forced layover. Once we arrived at the hotel, I was chomping at the bit to get out and tour Dubai. Erin however needed to eat and then wanted to catch some shut eye. So, like a good husband, we went downstairs to eat. Glad we did because we ran into one of the other couples who are adopting! We sat down and ate with the new couple so we could catch up on their journey thus far.

After dinner I was anxious to get out of the hotel. Erin was nervous about the lack of sleep and how that would impact our first visit with Ava. I knew I couldn’t sleep anyway, especially since it was Noon back home. So, I decided to go out and Hannah decided she had to go with me. Did you just hear that record skid to a stop? Maybe it was just me. :) So here comes the complication. I would love for Hannah to come out and see Dubai however, working off of a short night and knowing that the next day was her introduction to her sister, wisdom spoke up (yes, that’s Erin today). “Not a good idea.” Trust me I know. However, I highly doubt we will ever be in Dubai again. I sputtered, “Can I just take her out and back, no playing around? Just grab a couple of pictures and head back, 1 hour tops.” I badly wanted her to see as much as I wanted to see. Erin agreed to it and we left. Hannah and I hailed a cab and we were off! About 10 minutes later I realized that Erin was probably correct. I think Hannah realized it too. I looked over at her after glaring out my window and realized her eyes were half shut. I gave her a pep talk and she was good for the next 5 minutes.

I stuck to my word. We hit one stop and then came back. Total time less than one hour and Hannah even fell asleep on the way back.

No comments: